Welcome to my wedding planning blog!

About my wedding: Summer 2012 -- 200-250 guests (local and international) -- New England location (outside or inside) -- Activities including golf or boating -- Food and music are priorities

Please share any tips, recommendations or advice!!!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Can I have the wedding I want for under $20k?

I'm pretty sure that I could easily put together a $100,000 + wedding... but I have decided that I do not want to spend that much. My goal is to spend under $20,000.

The more research I do, the more challenging I think this is going to be. Many of the venues I have seen already charge at least $10-15k between the facility rental and the catering. This doesn't include bar service, transportation, dress, etc. I'm beginning to realize that if I want to keep costs below $20k, I'm going to have my work cut out for me! The good news is that I know it can be done.

I've been to many lovely weddings and while the majority were definitely more than $20k, some of the most enjoyable ones were not (I'm thinking of one in particular that was $8k).

I'm curious to know about your experiences - how much did you spend? How did you cut costs? What did you compromise on and what were you not willing to compromise on? How much time and energy did it take to meaningfully reduce the final price tag?

1 comment:

  1. It is quickly becoming clear to me that if I want to have my wedding at a traditional wedding venue, there is pretty much no way that I can do everything for $20k. Looks like I'll have to increase my budget or really search for unique venues.

    ReplyDelete